Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My oldest

I love my oldest, he is a smart, caring teenager. He loves to play with his brothers, takes time to make sure everyone is happy, and likes to cook. Which helps me because I don't like to cook. So how is it, that this wonderful child is so scatter brained. He forgets things, his mind wanders during homework and it takes him hours to do it.
How do I help him become more responsible? I have hit a road block. I have tried giving him list of things to do. I have tried grounding. He has a dedicated, clean desk, in a quiet room for doing homework. Nothing helps.
This is my issue for the week. Maybe the month.

2 comments:

Grant and Christine said...

I don't know but when you figure it out will you tell me in case I have a child like that? :) Maybe you could try setting a timer for him, 15 minute intervals to get one certain part of his homework done? Maybe he can focus for a short time with breaks in between? Good Luck!

Unknown said...

I like Christine's idea. My kids like to race the timer. If it is just busy work (stuff he knows backwards and forwards), maybe he could see if he could beat the timer? Wrong answers add a second, and, of course, you set the timer for a reasonable time.